Friday, September 14, 2007

I SAW A PLAY, ONCE. . .


"Three Sisters"
by Anton Chekhov
produced by and at The Gift Theatre Company
Chicago
Sept 6, 2007

Six months? This company rehearsed this play for six months?

OK. Uh. . well, let's see. . . Chekhov was pretty, darn good. I think I see for the first time since I became a dramaturg that he was a saint, that is, his writing reflects that subjective experience.

Six months? Really?

OK, what else. . .uh. . . I liked the longing of the Antagonists: their thirst. A thirst that never gets quenched (the actors may very well have felt this way by the end of reheasals). The two peasants, the old man and the old woman, would be the Protagonists. I liked the fulfillment expressed by the old woman: "My own room! I'm so happy!"

So, basically, we have here an heroic drama of monumental proportions: after a lifetime of struggle (and six months of rehearsal) and abuse from Antagonists,* a Protagonist finds personal fulfillment and happiness.

I like it! I like it!


And now for the Audience: Well, they were pretty darn good, too. To attend a production of a play written in. . .when? 1905? Written by a saint. With a most perfect Protagonist. A culture far removed from 4800 North Milwaukee. A very, very small theater. Yes, the play and its production accurately reflected this perfect Audience. This Audience. I like this audience. I want to return to this theatre, soon. I want to sit with the members of this audience, again and again. I do. I do. Sometime well before six more months elapse.

The actors. Yes, there were actors. I was pretty much taken by them all, especially the ones who captured that longing. These sparkling artists were the perfect compliment for this sparkling audience

The Director. Yes, there was a director. Since it was you, Michael Patrick Thornton, that made out the rehearsal schedule, please, tell me *whom it is in the audience that so cowers you into postponing presenting your work to them for so long a period of time? That person would be your personal Antagonist whom you bring to the theatre each day. Your work is not all that bad! The level of your work does not reflect any more accomplishment than if you had opened it with a three-week rehearsal. Length of rehearsal is not what this company needs, here; rather you, sir, need to go search for a teacher of some sort for your own personal growth, which would help you to face and deal with that personal Antagonist, who seems to keep you from expressing yourself now, today, this moment. Comprende?

No comments: