Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I SAW A PLAY, ONCE. . .


"Lillian"
by William Luce

directed by Louis Contey
featuring Janet Ulrich Brooks in the title role
produced by Time Line Theatre, Chicago.
Seen Sunday, November 12, 2006

Boring and tedious!
. . . put me into a sleep from which I was awakened four or six times by Janet Ulrich Brooks' occasional exuberance, which demonstrated that she has the "stuff" that's needed to pull off this remarkable play about a most remarkable woman . . .I think. . . .


Mz Brooks continually acted out remembering, recalling, reflecting, associating and day dreaming and lost contact with the audience while doing so, thus putting us to sleep, including her students, friends & family members. I'm reminded of what Warren Robertson, my acting teacher, used to say: "There's nothing wrong with acting, just don't get caught at it."

It is the director, however, that is supposed to catch these sorts of things, or is it that Janet is a strong willed actress, who insisted on doing things her way regardless of Louis Contey's direction? My work with her would begin with getting her to look at the people in the audience as she does her remembering, recalling, etc. thing.

One-Person plays are particularly interesting in that the role of the Protagonist is obvious, and the role of the Antagonist is always the audience. The sparks have to fly when the two come into contact. Too bad she avoided that contact. Still, this dramaturge-babe did not seem to be afraid of them. . . Perhaps, she has never had a good director. Hmmm. . . Perhaps, I should cast her in my production.

Whatever or whomever, Janet, you must keep searching for the kind of help that addresses your relationship with your audience--your Antagonist. The sell-out house that I sat in, on that less then memorable Sunday evening, seemed to be crowded with your friends, all of whom were cheering at your curtain call, that is, after they and I woke up.

God! I felt like rigormortis set in!

No comments: